Monday 4 October 2010

Wading into the depths

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...
(This is going to be an art development blog in the main, but I felt some exposition was necessary to provide some roughage to aid the creative flavour to come later)

Considering how much I enjoy writing, language, healthy discourse, the internet and, above all, myself, it may come as a surprise that this is my first foray into blogging. But the reason for the delay in such matters is a simple one, that can be contributed to almost all the deficits, delays and demons in my personal history - procrastination. Distraction. Idleness. Laziness. Cannae-be-arsed. Meh. Call it what you will, but I am cursed with the most devilrous affliction of dalliance. If not cursed, then certainly too sidetracked to fix this state of affairs and become constructive... you see my point?

One would not normally assume such a minor worry to be a grand impediment on a person, but in all honesty I can climb atop my soapbox and expound, at great length and with a passionately deprecating vigour, that the last few years have not exactly gone well. The promise of my youth and talent dashed across the rocks of ignorance and apathy, that sort of thing. In the last two years, I have failed university, had a promising career in the field of true-honest-to-god-geekery taken from me, had two nervous breakdowns, found myself on a panoply of mood and metabolism altering medications and fluctuated weight in a way only Chino Moreno could find brotherhood with. After a punishing few months establishing myself as a paragon of decency in the general detritus of the fast food industry, I am re-enrolled at university in order to sit my failed third year again.

So, to the end of my malady, I have fired up this blogging... thing... in order to have an easily updated and monitored account of my adventures in the sphere of academic digital art and other computer created entertainment, along with personal commentary on media, models, music and other 'm' words that take my fancy. With an audience and the painfully honest criticism that is often only found in the hostile anonymity of the internet, I hope to find some support or even competition to raise my game. I state now, that I want honest feedback and assistance from those able to render it - links to research, practical advice and related imagery for bragging rights or other comparative measures are encouraged, nay, demanded.

Writing and explaining things, even to those who know the score already, is also a useful aid to myself for understanding and concentrating what I'm attempting to do. Ever repeat your french homework into the bathroom while attending to your daily ablutions? Its a bit like that. Only less naked and more hygienic, one hopes.

So, onwards I stride. Descriptions and depictions of coursework, works-in-progress, successes, failures and adventures will follow, shortly and I hope frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment